During Jazz & Beyond 2019, we will be doing silent auctions of eleven or so mannequins that were created for the 2018 festival. Each mannequin will have her or his day in which her/his auction concludes. Silent-auction bidding for all mannequins will begin on a date to be determined. Bids for all remaining mannequins will be accepted at each of the events listed below. The minimum bid for each mannequin is $25. Challenge bids (higher bids) must not include cents.
Here is the schedule for final bids on each mannequin (subject to change). Times shown are for the approximate time bidding will end. Auctions will close during the concert indicated:
- “Mixed Media Mother Earth, 2018” by Maureen Conlin – Saturday, July 27, at approximately 9:30 p.m. – BAC Levitt concert on BAC Levitt Stage (Concert is prior to actual start of Jazz & Beyond Festival).
- “My Personal Peacock” by Cyndy Brenneman – Friday, August 9 at Bliss Mansion Opening Event, at approximately 5:30 p.m.
- “Paper Mache Lady” by Kim VanZyll – Sunday, August 11th during the Retro Radio Dolls’ performance, Capital Amphitheater at approximately 5:30 p.m.
- “Manny” by Deana Hoover – Sunday, August 11th during the Urban Renewal Project performance at the Capital Amphitheater at approximately 7:30 p.m.
- “Ragtime and Romance” by Deborah Foster – Tuesday, August 13 during RoseBud’s Dance Band at McFadden Plaza at approximately 9:00 p.m.
- “Cecilia” by Marla Miles – Thursday, August 15th Comma Coffee Courtyard during Curt Mitchell’s “Woodstock Remembered” at approximately 5:30 p.m.
- “Wired-In”by Corrie Zam-Northan – Thursday, August 15th during “All About that Bass” lecture at Nevada State Museum at approximately 8:30 p.m.
- “Magnolia- the goddess of life” by Tracy Caraway – Saturday, August 17th during Red Tango’s performance at the Brewery Arts Center Ballroom at approximately 6:30 p.m.
- “Wild West Woman” by Karen Underhill – Sunday, August 18th between performances at Silver Saddle Ranch at approximately 5:30 p.m.
- “Sassy Sadie, 2018” – Tuesday, August 20th during the Mile High Jazz Band Concert at McFadden Plaza at approximately 9:00 p.m.
- “Jazz” by Cyndy Brenneman – Sunday, August 25th during Reno Jazz Orchestra’s performance at the Legislative Plaza at approximately 7:00 p.m.
- “Book Worm” by Joyce Gale Ramos is not up for auction. It is on permanent display in the Carson City Library near the internal book-return area.
For the third year in a row, The Carson City Arts & Culture Coalition has a project involving the Carson City artists’ community. The first project was a Photography Contest and Banner that was displayed on the construction fence at Telegraph Square during the summer of 2016. The second project was the Painted Paper Parasols Project. Artists used their favorite artists work to inspire a painting on their parasol. The parasols went on display at the Brewery Arts Center, City Hall, and at the “The Arts Take Flight” exhibition at Reno Tahoe International Airport. The painted parasols were also the inspiration for the Carson City Arts & Culture Coalition’s Nevada Day Float in 2017.
In 2018, twelve local artists decorated recycled mannequins and torsos supplied by the Carson City Arts & Culture Coalition. The artists were allowed creative freedom to paint, collage, mosaic, or dress their mannequin as they wished. The music theme was a popular choice due to the summer Levitt Concert Series at the BAC and the Jazz & Beyond Carson City Music Festival held annually at various venues around Carson City in August. The mannequins were on display at the Brewery Arts Center, the Community Center, Western Nevada College, and Carson City Library. A few of the mannequins can currently be seen at the Nevada Artists Association on the BAC Campus. The mannequins will be auctioned off during various events at the Jazz & Beyond Music Festival. Bid sheets are available at all the Farmer’s Markets up to August 17th, all the Levitt Concerts, in addition to most of the Jazz & Beyond events. You can go to either jazzcarsoncity.com or artscarsoncity.com (August Calendar) to get the specifics on all events.
But remember, only the last bid made counts. Be at the mannequin’s final Silent Auction site.